Sunday, May 20, 2018

Mother's Day Chat With Marissa (A Missionary Update)

When LDS mother's have missionaries out, Mother's Day and Christmas Day become extra special because they are the only two days a year when missionaries are allowed to phone or Skype home. Marissa has been out for four months now. It was the highlight of my Mother's Day this year to see her smiling face and hear her sweet voice. Unfortunately, Zach missed out as he had to teach a Sunday school class at the same time, but the rest of us gathered together in front of David's computer, and we tried, unsuccessfully, to Skype with Marissa. The connection on her end was just too poor. So, we ended up talking to her over an app on Darcie's cell phone (WhatsApp). We tried the video feature and were able to see Marissa briefly, but that feature only caused a lot of buffering, so we turned it off for the remainder of our chat. 

The Sweetest Missionary Ever sounded happy and content with her mission. She loves the people of Cusco. She just might love the stray dogs even more, haha. But she is doing really well and would greatly appreciate your e-mails! Write her at: marissa.madsen@myldsmail.net   


The day after Mother's Day, she was able to email as usual. She sent me these photos and said the one above is of a trio (of sister missionaries, including herself) and a member. And then she said this:

It was fun, a little annoying, to be in a trio. We got a cupcake for Marilu at church that we were asked to give to her, and I wanted to go straight home so it didn't get ruined but she, Hna. Quintana, wanted to visit the family above, and so we went there first, and the cupcake got squished, the frosting melted and it was a mess. I wish they'd listen, anyways the family wasn't far from where we live, it would have been an easy walk but instead I had to pay for all three of us, since they were both out of money. Saturday I also spent more than 12 soles on taxis and buses because I was the only one with money, which means I probably won't buy tights today since I have big bills of my own money and need to go find some place who has change. It's a little rough. We also need permission to go, which my company is hesitant to ask for until the day of. 

I'm not sure exactly what she's talking about, haha, but it sounds like missionary life is a bit unpredictable. 😄


Dobby at the talent show, taking refreshments. Somebody left it on the ground and she got into it so they just let her drink it.

 
The youth dancing, they practiced weeks before in preparation. We had skits, dances and I sung but I don't have videos or pics of that.  



The elders, doing a dance.


I have had people ask me question about school and what you do. I tell them I was taught at home, and you are teaching my brother, who is also being taught at home. I have also been asked if I know how to dance and I never know what to say since the dancing we do is different than theirs here. They have traditional dances taught at school. 

So, that is how our little missionary is doing! Thanks so much for staying in touch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot!